It’s taco Tuesday! I made carnitas tacos because I’ve been craving them ever since I had some last week at the OC fair. These were a success tonight because even my very picky eater Emma loved them! It’s actually a really simple recipe that doesn’t take much time, the crockpot does most of the work 😉 I love crockpot meals because you just put em in the pot and bam! 6 or 8 hours later you get to enjoy! Side note: I prefer to use limes but didn’t have any on hand, so I just used lemons.
You will need:
- 6lb pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 tbs Oregano
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbs cumin
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1 onion, quartered
- Corn tortillas
- Green onion and cilantro for garnish
- Homemade salsa if desired
- Trim the excess fat from the pork shoulder. Combine oregano, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture thoroughly around the pork.
- Place seasoned pork into crockpot. Add in quartered onion, garlic, lemon and orange juice. Set on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Once pork is finished cooking, remove from crockpot and wait for it to cool slightly. Throw out all the cooked onions. Shred the meat and return it to the juices in the pot. Keep heat setting on warm for about 30 min.
- Once ready to eat, preheat oven setting to broil. Place carnitas on baking sheet and broil until desired crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up cilantro,green onions and a lime. ( I only had lemons so this will do)
- Serve immediately on corn tortilla and garnish with taco toppings and enjoy!